The Coast Guard is suspending a search for a boat with four occupants reported missing off San Francisco, a guard commander said today. He said the case is "possibly a hoax."
The Coast Guard started searching for the ship Sunday after receiving a cryptic call for help: "This is the Charm Blow; we are abandoning ship."
Since then, searchers have been scouring the waters off San Francisco for the reported occupants of the 29-foot sailboat: a couple, their 4-year-old child and the child's cousin, who the Coast Guard said is younger than 8.
The man had called an hour earlier to say that the boat had begun taking on water and its electronics were failing, the Coast Guard said.
Get complete coverage of breaking news on CNN.com, CNN TV and CNN Mobile.
Check your Credit Score in 2013
It's easy, secure and won't affect your Score
You have opted-in to receive this e-mail from CNN.com. To unsubscribe from Breaking News e-mail alerts, go to: http://cgi.cnn.com/m/clik?l=textbreakingnews
One CNN Center Atlanta, GA 30303
(c) & (r) 2013 Cable News Network